Does your business require you to ship goods between Canada and the USA? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Have you ever wondered how much freight crosses the border every year? Check out some fun facts below!
Approximately 700 billion dollars worth of cargo is carried across the border every year! Out of that 700 billion, 65 percent of that cross-border shipment is hauled by trucks. As a result, cross-border shipping is used by businesses all over North America.
We have narrowed it down to 3 things you should know before you start cross-border shipping:
1. A Customs Broker Will Be Your New Best Friend
What does a customs broker do? To sum it all up, they make your life easier. Cross-border shipping is no walk in the park, and with regulations changing often, and each specific market having its own regulations, it is very easy to make a mistake, and that mistake could cost you thousands. This is where your custom broker comes into play.
A customs broker will prepare all forms and documents for customs, manage all fees, duties and taxes, record all transaction records in case of an audit or inspection. Lastly, they will respond to the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) if there are any concerns after payment.
Why put this pressure on yourself? You have your own business to deal with, let the experts do their job and handle your cross-border shipping with ease.
2. Documentation is the road to success (and to a smooth shipment)
The CBP and the CBSA take their jobs very seriously, as they should. That means all your documents have to be filled out, in full and with all the necessary information needed. If these documents are not given to the carrier company or are filled out incorrectly, your shipment could be stopped or delayed.
Here are the 5 most important documents that need to be filled out carefully:
- Bill of Lading (BOL)
- Packing Slip
- Commercial Invoice
- Canada Customs Invoice
- Certificate of Origin
3. Choose a trusted transportation partner.
When choosing your 3PL, experience and attention to detail are what should stand out. The tiniest mistake could cost you a lot of time and money. Some things to look out for when choosing a transportation partner are:
- Experience: Ensure they are knowledgeable about the cargo that you need shipped and have the background to prove it.
- Safety: One transportation partner may have lower rates, but they may have a reputation to cut corners. It could delay your delivery – at best, or damage your brand by a catastrophic incident – at worst.
- Capacity: Are they able to accommodate your volume? You want to avoid capacity shortage at all costs. It’s best to find a transportation partner who has worked with similar businesses.
- Sustainable practices: Today’s world prioritizes sustainability and by showing that your company is environmentally friendly, it will help you build your supply chain image and generate more sales.
Need a Trusted Cross Border Logistics Partner?
The key here is, let the experts be experts and take the help that is offered to you. You are the specialist in your business; McKenna Logistics specializes in ensuring that all of your logistics and supply chain needs are fulfilled.
Accuracy and timeliness are our mottoes, and we are committed to giving you the best shipping service possible.
If you have any questions regarding cross-border shipping or if you want to learn more about a logistics partnership, contact us today!